Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Two Weeks Today

I can't believe I have already been here two weeks. I would be lying if I said there hasn't been downs with the ups. I finally, after two and a half years of a lot of hard and sometimes emotionally painful work, feel comfortable with being completely alone, in my own space, but of course that doesn't mean I don't get lonely. Living without relatively any distractions here is teaching me how to have patience and allots for much time to think and reflect. Just being is difficult sometimes, you know.

I had my first four days off and went on many walkabouts. I walked to the visitor center which took an hour the short way and an hour and forty minutes on the way back going the long way; remind me not to go the long way again. Another day Kazunari and I drove 23 km to the Haew Narok Waterfall, which was fierce and the biggest waterfall I have ever seen.

Jamie and I started back to work on Monday. A lot of the trails are overgrown and it makes it extra difficult when you are trying to follow Gibbons and find a trail. I decided to add trail maintenance to my work as much as possible, while Jamie observes the Gibbons. My arms and hands are so sore today from using the machete.

I finally had some amazing Thai food on Saturday just outside the park. It was right along the main road with an outside eating area and kitchen. You would pass right by it and not think twice. Luckily it's one of the field guides favorite places to eat at so he recommended it. The three of us shared a green papaya salad, green curry and a vegetable stir-fry. It had a lot of kick to it! The spice was so hot my tongue almost fell off, but it was worth it! It was only $3 for each of us.

If anyone wants to mail me burned copies of the latest seasons of Mad Men, Dexter, True Blood, Entourage or Breaking Bad, then I am sure you will have good karma for life. ;-) Hugs.

4 comments:

  1. I've got you covered on Mad Men and True Blood. Where do I send them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a dream. My dream is that when you return you will love spicy food. It looks like my dream may come true.

    Also, remember that loneliness is a state of mind. Just talk to the little voice in your head and everything will be alright.

    Give us an address to mail you stuff.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebekah our courageous granddaughter!! Know that you are never alone because our thoughts and prayers are with you daily-- there in sprit if not physically seen. What an adventure with the hard work. Love you dearly grandma and pa

    ReplyDelete
  4. maggie's dream is mine too. yay!! thanks for the update and the great pics. love you.

    ReplyDelete